V Rising is one of the most popular vampire survival games available among gamers. According to recent video game statistics, the game’s fan base grew to 500,000 players within just three days of its release. Today, 1 million game copies have been sold worldwide.
Reaching this level of popularity is a double-edged sword in the gaming world. The game is popular for a reason – it’s fun to play, and people love it. But with so many people playing this vampire survival classic online, Sunlock Studies (the game’s developer) may struggle to support gameplay on its own servers. As a result, diehard fans of the title are looking to spin up their own V Rising dedicated servers to create a more enjoyable gaming experience.
What Is a V Rising Dedicated Server?
A V Rising dedicated server is a hosting platform that a single user, or party of users, can bring online from their own home. The advantage of hosting V Rising on individual dedicated servers is that you’re not left sharing resources with the 17,000 to 40,000 V Rising fans on the public server at any given time. Any RAM, bandwidth, and other server resources are 100% dedicated to you and whoever else is in your party.
V Rising Dedicated Server Security Features
Another advantage of dedicated gaming servers is security. When you buy a title like V Rising and play on Steam or Sunlock Studies’ online platform, you’re transmitting data to a public server. Essentially, data from your home PC or gaming console is traveling out in the wild, and hackers could potentially gain access.
By their very nature, dedicated servers are more secure since resources and data aren’t being shared. These servers also offer additional security features aside from their inherent setup that either come as part of your purchase or can be added onto your hosting plan for small extra fees.
When it comes to Liquid Web dedicated servers, we offer a variety of security add-ons like ServerSafe technology, multi-level DDoS protection, and data encryption through Let’s Encrypt out of the box. Users can also add features like a firewall or VPN to have the most secure gaming experience possible.
V Rising Dedicated Server Requirements
Before diving into the step-by-step instructions on setting up a dedicated server, you need to make sure your system meets the minimum V Rising dedicated server requirements. You can follow the instructions perfectly, but your server won’t provide the gaming experience you’re after without the right resources.
Here are the system minimums for setting up a V Rising server:
- Windows 10 (64-bit) or greater.
- Intel Core i5-6600 (3.3 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 5 1500x (3.5GHz).
- DirectX: Version 11.
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (2 GB) or AMD Radeon R7 360 (2 GB) for graphics.
- 7 GB or more of storage space.
- Network Broadband Internet connection.
- 12 GB or more RAM.
How To Make a Dedicated Server for V Rising
If you’re interested in building a gaming server to play V Rising, Liquid Web has got you covered. Below are the step-by-step instructions for creating your V Rising dedicated server setup.
1. Establish Host Server Connection
You’ll need to connect remotely to your server to start the process. Once you purchase a hosting package from Liquid Web, log in and navigate to your dashboard. From there, you’ll want to take the following steps:
- Navigate to the Server menu.
- Click on the hosting package you’ve just purchased.
- Scroll down to Access Data.
- Search for the Remote Desktop Connection option.
- Download your remote connection
Your file should download in a .exe format. Open this executable file. Next, log in with your server login data. If this is your first time logging in, you may need to retrieve your login credentials from the Access Data menu pane.
2. Install Your Command Prompt
When it comes to setting up gaming platforms like a V Rising dedicated server, SteamCMD is the typical command prompt interface. After establishing a connection to your server hardware, downloading SteamCMD is the next step.
SteamCMD is different from traditional Steam. This is your command line prompt and will look like the MS-DOS prompt from Windows 3.1. (We know, we’re dating ourselves).
3. V Rising Dedicated Server Installation
- Open SteamCMD.
- Create an installation directory within the command line prompt.
- Use a directory location like C:v-rising-server to store your server application.
- Use the following line of code to install: force_install_dir C:v-rising-server.
- To connect to the public Steam servers, input the following command into the SteamCMD command line: login anonymous.
- Install the server application using the server ID for the corresponding Steam app. For V Rising, the corresponding app ID is 1829350.
- Run this command: app_update 1829350 validate.
4. Port Release
You’ll have to configure your V Rising dedicated server port forwarding. This is important because port access will ensure your server is accessible online. The steps for port release are the following:
- Log in to your Liquid Web dashboard.
- Navigate to the menu for your server.
- Click on the hosted server you’re using for V Rising.
- Navigate to the Network Settings.
- Click the Firewall Policies/Settings menu.
- Search for Incoming.
- Create two rules for TCP/UDP 9876 (game port) and 9877 (query port).
5. Format Your V Rising Dedicated Server
This step of the process is going to rely heavily on the installation directory we set up earlier. There are three critical files from that directory you’ll need to access for this step:
- Start_server_example.bat – This file is in the root folder of your installation directory. Essentially, this is the startup language for your server. Choose a name for your server and the memory state. You’ll also need to assign a file location for your server’s memory logs.
- ServerHostSettings.json – Navigate to the following subfolder of your installation directory: VRisingServer_DataStreamingAssetsSettings. Once there, you’ll find the .json file for your server settings. Here, you’ll define your server name, adjust port settings, and designate the maximum number of players for your server.
- ServerGameSettings.json – You can find this file in the same Settings subfolder as mentioned above. Instead of your server, this .json file will control the settings for your gameplay. Here, you can adjust clan sizes, the game mode (PvE/PvP), health modifiers, and more.
6. Start Up Your Server
After you have the settings from your .json files just the way you like them, it’s time to start up your server. Doing this requires the .bat file we refer to in Step 5.
Double-click to open your .bat file. Once inside, you can launch your server by double-clicking on VRisingServer.exe.
7. Connect Your Dedicated Server to a V Rising Server
Loading the V Rising server menu can take a few minutes. Once it loads for you, start up V Rising and go through the following steps:
- Click the Play option.
- Select Online Game.
- Choose Find Servers.
- Display all servers by selecting Show All Servers and Settings.
- Type the name of your server into the search bar.
- Enter your password (if you’ve made one) and click Join Game.
Congratulations! You have now connected to the V Rising server. Now all that’s left to do is dive in and play. Create your vamp-killing character and join your self-hosted party.
Pros and Cons of V Rising Dedicated Servers
For those contemplating launching their own V Rising dedicated server, here is a side-by-side rundown of the pros and cons for you to consider:
|Not subject to V Rising party limits. Create parties large enough to accommodate all your friends.||Traditionally more expensive to buy hardware or set up software than public cloud-based options.|
|No shared resources and a lack of sensitive information on your server lead to greater security.||You may need to purchase another PC to host your server. Most servers require too many resources to run simultaneously while you play.|
|Experience stable gaming without lag.||Complex and time-consuming setup process. You’ll need technical skills to get everything set up properly.|
|Adapt your server resources to meet your gaming needs.||You’ll be responsible for providing routine hardware and software maintenance checks.|
Running a V Rising Dedicated Server
Running a V Rising dedicated server may be your best option if you’re an avid enthusiast of this epic vampire survival title from Sunlock Studies. The process can be complex and requires some technical skill, but once your server is up and running, you’ll be happy you did.
Of course, if you run into any challenges along the way, Liquid Web is here to help. We can help you through the server setup process and answer any questions about your V Rising dedicated server settings. Level up your gaming experience by chatting with one of our Most Helpful Humans in Hosting today.